Significant features in Gate of Heaven Cemetery include upper entrance gates, the “Stained Glass Window” area, i.e. Sections 7 thru 13, the Stations of the Cross in Section 45, and the Guardian Angel shrine watching over the graves of infants and children in Section 45.
Among notable Catholics buried or entombed in Gate of Heaven Cemetery are:
- George Herman “Babe” Ruth, Baseball Player — Section 25
- Jimmy Walker, Mayor of New York City — Section 41
- James Cagney, Actor — St. Francis Mausoleum
- Anna Held, Actress — Section 42
- Dorothy Kilgallen, Journalist/Television Personality — Section 23
The individuals listed below are interred at Gate of Heaven Cemetery and have received the Medal of Honor:
- Richard O’Neill — US Army WWI
- Robert Murray — US Army Vietnam
Sixty acres of the cemetery remain to be developed to accommodate the burial, entombment and inurnment needs of Catholics and members of their families throughout the greater New York area.